Thursday, March 1, 2012

Creative Expression

I have been going through a rough time lately. Thankfully, I have God to help me through, and the love and support of a strong family and great friends.


There are times, however, when one needs a... creative outlet. You know, when sitting down to a cup of coffee or watching tv with Mom just doesn't cut it... you need to "get it all out". Ever been there?


Thankfully, I've learned all about art journals. What is one? Basically, it is a journal created for your self-expression. Not specifically for writing, per se, but more of an empty palette in book form... where you can use any medium to express yourself. Collage, illustration, paint, words, stencils, stamps... the sky is the limit. You can create layers of different colors of acrylic paint. You can write the words to your favorite song, then illustrate a face. You can incorporate ticket stubs or photographs. It is FANTASTIC.


It is also very personal. There is no right or wrong way to create your journal. I did a little research, then about 2 weeks ago, I ran to Michaels and grabbed a few basic supplies that I didn't have on hand, and began. This is what the journal looked like when I bought it:


This is what it looks like now:


Here is a close-up of one of the embellishments I used on the cover, along with stamp effects, archival inks, etc.


It is a very cathartic experience. I work in my journal somewhat every day. It helps, I can honestly say that it helps. Here, I will share with you two spreads that I've done... there are more, but I'm still experimenting.



As time goes on, I'm incorporating more and more into my journal, from stickers and candy wrappers to pieces of other art I've done... like I said above, the sky really is the limit. The only goal is to get out what's held inside... so put on some good music, sit back, and create. You'll be amazed how freeing it is :)

5 comments:

MYSAVIOR said...

Jennifer - it never ceases to amaze me how talented you are! The Lord is blessing you, my dear♥

♥♥♥
Sue

Jennifer Hine said...

I love art journals. I love when they're just PACKED with words and drawings like yours.

Love it! :)

Lizzi said...

I haven't been really getting into mine like I was for awhile...you have inspired me.

krafterskorner said...

Wow, you are very talented! Love it!

Zuda Gay Pease said...

Fantastic, Jen!! Wow!