Tuesday, February 19, 2013

More Art Journal Fun!

I wanted to share with you my latest art journal spreads :) Upon looking at these, I see the progression that has come from my first foray into art journaling (Feb 2012) until now. I have grown, I have developed, and mostly, I have been able to portray my feelings/emotions onto the white page... and that is very freeing.

A few years ago, I was going through a particularly rough time (my husband had left us), and my pastor suggested I keep a journal. He said that many people find it's easier to sort out your feelings and it helps many feel better to keep a journal. Upon his advice, I did get a journal, but in all that time, I only wrote in it... maybe 3 or 4 times. But then, I discovered art journaling, and my life has never been the same :)

There is just something unexplainable about the wonder of image and text. Whether it's a sketch and a poem, a torn picture from a magazine and a song lyric, a doodle and a meaningful quote, or a painted design and random text from ripped and pasted book pages... it is wonderful.

Some pages are not finished yet. Others are complete with only a few elements... when it feels right, it feels right. I often go back in my journal, sometimes even months later, and am able to finish a piece that earlier just felt... unresolved. It's all about feeling. When it feels right, it's right, and YOU are the only one who can tell when it's right! :)

The spread above I did in only about an hour. I happened to be listening to the song "Jar of Hearts" by Christina Perri, and I ended up being moved to create this piece. The jar illustration is far from perfect. The hearts are not cut out with correctly-rounded edges. But that's ok... for this particular piece, it works. That's the beauty of mixed media in art journals... it is YOURS. And it is beautiful :)

Have you started your journal yet???

One vital tip!!! I've found that glue sticks are fantastic for gluing in various ephemera, but if you do use glue sticks, I highly recommend the Extra Strength ones. Otherwise, the edges of the pieces tend to curl up when the glue isn't as strong. :)

11 comments:

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

It is so great that you can express yourself so well through your art and your journals. I find writing does the same for me but haven't journaled.....yet!

The REAL EverSewSweet said...

Jennifer, what a blessing that journaling has been therapeutic for you!

Pam of alwaysartistic said...

Your journal spreads are so fun. Love the jar of hearts!

Christine Linton said...

I am always inspired by your art journal pages to go and work on some myself. Mine tend to be specific to individual art projects with thoughts about that and sketches of experiments that are still in my head that I audition in my art journals.

Ana said...

Every page of your journal you have shared has been inspirational. You can really see your heart in all of it!

Unknown said...

I have never really been moved to do an art journal. I love the ones you do though -- thanks for sharing them with us.

Unknown said...

Your journaling is fabulous! Love all the artwork and creativity!

sammysgrammy said...

Jen - you continue to blow my mind. I love how you're are feeling your feelings. I think the journal helps because it slows you down and the feelings are not permitted to be fleeting. They have to stay until you page feels finished.

I see this journaling as a wonderful way to keep open accounts with God, to listen to Him, to hear Him, to press in to Him....

Mechelle said...

You are so faithful in journaling. I need to get back to this soon.

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Art Journals are truly an amazing tool to help you sort life's issues, ponder on life, and so much more. I don't often leave a page unresolved, unless I'm just working on backgrounds. However, I have gone back and collaged and/or painted over a page that just doesn't feel right anymore. Blessings!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.